For the last four years the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) have managed all IT Software and Infrastructure Projects through a formalised estimation process/ methodology using SEER for Software and SEER SEM parametric estimation models. This provides value input into RBA’s annual planning and budgeting cycle and is used as a basis to validate and confirm business cases. The process was also a large factor contributing to RBA winning the PMO of the Year award in 2017/2018.
In March 2020 RBA and the supporting vendor had capacity constraints and required an experienced estimation consultant with specialist knowledge of SEER and the estimation framework to conduct an estimate on a high security high priority project at very short notice.
• Project related Documentation was received from RBA and analysed.
• An initial estimate was completed using SEER for IT, this covered Hardware, Software, Architecture, Software/ Database Services, Infrastructure Services, End User Services and Governance components of the Project.
• A workshop was conducted where our Consultant facilitated discussions around the various inputs into the estimate.
• A second estimate was conducted based on these inputs.• A validation session was then held to review and confirm the estimates.
• Reports were finalised and used as inputs into the formal Business Case.
Avec was able to supplement existing capacity with an experienced estimation consultant within 48 hours of receiving the request. This meant the project was estimated in time for presentation at the quarterly Investment Review Board.