Software Intelligence is insight into complex software structure used to better understand complex software systems, make informed decisions, communicate about software health, measure efficiency of software development and prevent software catastrophes.
Actionable Insights With Business Context:
- Predicative pattern analysis
- Qualitative surveys incorporate business impact
- Identify blockers and boosters to cloud migration
- Identify software health and open source risks
Primary Use Cases:
1. Application Rationalisation
The enterprise application landscape has become complex & decentralised significantly reducing the visibility needed to digitally transform rapidly & safely.
In most organisations, the cost for operating and managing applications makes up over 75% of the budget.
Application rationalisation is helping organisations realise an average of 20 percent immediate cost savings.
Today’s leaders need rapid and effective visibility into their application portfolios in order to:
- Make decisions on which applications to keep, merge, or retire
- Optimise IT budgets to fund innovation
2. Cloud Migration
Cloud Migration is happening with over 500 million applications* worldwide slated for modernisation. According to Forrester research, 73% of tech leaders expect this journey take more than a year and 43% more than two years. “Lift and Shift” continues to be the dominant approach, yet the success rate is less than 40% with this model.
3. Open-Source Risk Management
- Check third-party vulnerabilities
According to Cast Highlight case studies, 3rd party components make up 80% - 90% of code in a typical enterprise application.
Open source is one of the major entry points for hackers. Highlight continuously identifies if the third-party components you’re using contain security vulnerabilities.
- Control open-source license compliance
According to Cast Highlight research, 60% of enterprise codebases contain at least one vulnerability due to 3rd party components.
As your development teams are not legal experts, Highlight provides visibility on the licenses used to detect any restrictive license compliance associated with your OS components.
- Reduce technology obsolescence
41% of GitHub projects are published with licenses that present potential IP risks. For both functional and security reasons, it’s important that your third-party components are up to date. Highlight instantly detects which applications use obsolete component versions that require upgrades.
4. Technology Due Diligence
According to Forrester, 70% - 90% of M&A deals are unsuccessful.
Common reasons for failure:
- Inaccurate data gathering during the due diligence process
- Lack of objective insights into the technology landscape
- Unexpected post-acquisition technology costs
The due diligence process requires rapid and effective visibility into application portfolios in order to:
- Accurately inventory the technology stack of the target firm
- Uncover potential security and licensing risks from open source
- Calculate technical debt that will be inherited
- Understand the maturity and cloud readiness of the software
- Develop an accurate valuation based on objective data
Step 1: Launch and Planning
Executive buy-in established through global communication
Step 2: Distributed Analysis
App owners complete an application survey and download agent from Highlight portal to analyse code stacks. Analysis is performed in minutes, on their network.
Step 3: Results Interpretation & Recommendations
Actionable software analytics and portfolio-wide dashboards available online, including technology mix, app health and risks, business impact context, and cloud readiness. Enterprise-wide portfolio intelligence available on a secure, private cloud.
Reach out to the Avec team to find out more!